This ongoing report on consumers provides valuable audience intel for marketers and advertisers. We curate stories of interest and insight. Use the button below to have each Audience Intel Report delivered directly to your inbox.Get Intel Report Emails
YouTube Launches Profile Cards
What It Is: New “Profile Cards” feature rollout consolidates video commenter’s name, profile photo, subscriptions, subscriber counts and recent comments on the current channel within one-click. Rollout is beginning on Android devices with other platforms to follow shortly.
How To Get It: Just click on the profile picture in the comments section. The “Profile Card” will display.
Why? While this information has been available previously through multiple clicks, this feature puts it all in one place. This consolidation will make it more efficient for channel owners to:
- Identify top commenters
- Connect with community of viewers
- Reciprocate subscriptions
- Identify possible trolls
Broader Picture: Google Parent Reveals YouTube Ad Revenue of $15B
Live Picture: Analyst Says YouTube Live “Crushed It” In Recent GrowthGet Intel Report Emails
Facebook Takes On Deepfakes
The Latest: The social network has announced they are committed to removing media that meets the following criteria:
- It has been edited or synthesized – beyond adjustments for clarity or quality – in ways that aren’t apparent to an average person and would likely mislead someone into thinking that a subject of the video said words that they did not actually say. And:
- It is the product of artificial intelligence or machine learning that merges, replaces or superimposes content onto a video, making it appear to be authentic.
What Is A Deepfake: It’s a portmanteau of “deep learning” and “fake.” Here’s the Wikipedia entry.
What’s a “portmanteau”? You’ve come to the right place.
Who Decides: Facebook has partnered with select “third-party fact checkers” who will examine suspect content in over 40 languages. In the U.S. these fact checkers include:
- AFP United States
- The Associated Press
- Check Your Fact
- Lead Stories
- Science Feedback
How Can They Tell? The blur between digital and reality is getting slimmer. Bloggers have recently teased some pretty amazing possibilities from Samsung’s “artificial human” project.
See the video on YouTube here.Get Intel Report Emails
Cupid Growing Unpopular?
Young People Today: A growing number of younger consumers say that Valentine’s day is just a day to “get drunk and party with their single friends.”
Still, Gotta Love Record Spending: The outlook is better when factoring in all ages. The National Retail Federation reports spending is expected to total $27.4 billion, up 32% from last year’s record $20.7 billion.
When You Care Enough: Consumer sentiment giant, Hallmark, reports …
- Approximately 145 million Valentine’s Day cards are exchanged industry-wide (not including packaged kids’ valentines for classroom exchanges), making Valentine’s Day the second-largest holiday for giving greetings cards.
- In addition to the United States, Valentine’s Day is celebrated in Canada, Mexico, the United Kingdom, France Australia, Denmark and Italy.
- Hallmark first offered Valentine’s Day cards in 1913 and began producing them in 1916.
What Else Are Consumers Shopping For?
You will find more infographics at Statista